Give me before 4/5/2018 10pm
This week covers Gender Inequality. I have two options for this assignment, so just pick the one that interests you.
Often, our discussions about this topic examine how females experience inequality. This discussion will focus on how males may experience inequality. Here are your instructions:
- Go to A Call To Men’s website and spend a few minutes reading about their organization. www.acalltomen.org (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Watch the TED Talk of founder Tony Porter at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxEyzodgG3o
- In your 300 word+ post answer the following: What is the man-box? What are some ways that you think males are placed in this box? Do you place males in this man-box? What are the dysfunctions of putting males into this man-box? What do you think is the role of our females in promoting the rigid idea of a “real man”? How is men’s liberation from the man-box tied to women’s liberation? What changes would you make in socializing children so that both males are females can develop qualities that are healthy rather than qualities that fit rigid stereotypes?
Watch any of the following video presentations on women in advertising, then write a reflection and analysis paper. I suggest enlarging the video so that the ads are not a distraction.
KILLING US SOFTLY 4 v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzU3NzcwOTIw.html
KILLING US SOFTLY 3Killing Us Softly (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.(partial with the subtitles). You can search online for the full version of this video (35 minutes or so), but it will not likely have the subtitles.
Reflect on the video and answer the following questions. Upload your answers on this page.
- What did you think about the points made in the video? Should action be taken change the portrayal of beauty in America? In some European countries it is illegal to feature super skinny models or to advertise images that have been photoshopped. Should this happen here? How would this change affect a person’s view of themself? Would society be healthier?
- How, how do you think your life would be different if you were born the opposite sex? Would your goals, values, success be the same? Think about your socialization and how it would have resulted in a different person. If you have opposite siblings, you would most likely be similar to them. Evaluate the positives and negatives living life of your counterpart.
- I suggest reading “Self-Made Man” by Norah Vincent. Here is a fascinating interview with her about her research experience as a man: