Having a historical perspective of the court cases, laws, and mandates that have shaped English language instruction policy, enables teachers of English language learners (ELLs) to understand the program model in which they operate.
Based on major court cases and legislation pertaining to ELLs create a timeline of legislative events and court cases that have affected English language instruction in Arizona.
Your timeline should include a title, year, and brief description for the following:
1. At least two of the following major court cases pertaining to ELLs: Lau v. Nichols, Castaneda v. Pickard, Flores v. Arizona, or Plyler v. Doe.
2. At least two of the following federal laws or mandates that have affected education for ELLs: Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Title III, Title VI, or a resolution from the Office for Civil Rights/Department of Justice.
3. At least two of the following Arizona laws or policies that have directly affected the ELL program model: Proposition 203, House Bill 2010, House Bill 2064, and Move on When Reading.
Below your timeline, write a 500-750 word description of the ELLs and the program models implemented in Arizona. Your description should include:
1. A brief description of the demographic composition of the PK-12 ELL population in Arizona.
2. An explanation of the process of determining ELL program eligibility, including the use of the Home Language Survey and the Arizona English Language Learner Assessment (AZELLA) for placement and reclassification.
3. A description of the standard accommodations available to ELLs for assessment.
A description of the characteristics of the English immersion program models in Arizona in terms of time allocations, grouping of ELLs with native speakers, use of ELLs’ native language, and integration of English within academic content.
4. Comparison of Structured English Immersion classrooms, bil
ingual classrooms, and Individual Language Learner Plans and how they relate to current societal trends and issues in the education of ELLs.
Support this assignment with at least three resources.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using the documentation guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.