A community assessment begins with a basic windshield survey where each community subsystem is explored. The physical environment is often the first subsystem assessed and provides guidelines to identify characteristics in the physical environment that can impact health.
Click on the Enter Sentinel City® and continue your virtual experience by taking a bus tour of Sentinel City®. Since this is your second tour, feel free to choose any bus speed and/or get off the bus at any time to walk around. As you take the tour, write down your observations, specifically focused on the subsystem: physical environment. Meet with Mayor Hill to discuss the subsystem: physical environment. Compile your observations and any demographic information addressing each item listed in the first column of the rubric. You are encouraged to add other relevant characteristics you observe that may not be listed in the first column as you complete this activity.
Reading and Resources
Harkness & DeMarco (2016) Read Chapters 4 & 5
- Visit Healthy People 2020 Determinants of Health
- Visit Healthy People 2020 Objectives
- Visit Health Disparities
Find the health rankings for the county where your practice learning site is located by visiting: “Health Rankings for Your State & County”
Watch the Levels of Prevention Video
- All submissions should have a title page and reference page.
- Utilize a minimum of two scholarly resources.
- Adhere to grammar, spelling and punctuation criteria.
- Adhere to APA compliance guidelines.
- Adhere to the chosen Submission Option for Delivery of Activity guidelines.
- 1 to 2-page paper. Include title and reference pages.
Note: Title and reference pages/slides do not count towards the count requirements.
Attachments areaPreview YouTube video Levels of Prevention