Cause and Effect Essay
For this essay, you are to write an essay explaining the causes and/or effects of a situation. The essay should have a strong thesis that is defended though the essay.
15% of your final grade/150 points
- Causes and Effect Essay
- Students will choose their own topics.
900 to 1,200 words (Points will be deducted for essays less than 850 words)
Point of View
3rd person/ Here are links to a resources that explain more:
Academic tone suitable for a college educated audience
- Three (3) sources are required.
- One (1) source must come from the PGCC databases
- A Works Cited page must be attached with the sources listed alphabetically in MLA format.
- Introduction- have a hook, enough background to orient your reader, and a thesis that identifies whether you will focus on causes, effects or both.
- Body -Discuss various links in the causal chain, either tracing it backwards from effect to first cause, or beginning with the first cause. • Use transitions to ANALYZE the process rather than simply providing what amounts to a glorified play-by play narration (also know as process) • Present the causes chronologically and without missing links.
- Conclusion • Return to thesis, then speculate on possible first causes to right a bad effect or possible other causes that might have destroyed or otherwise altered the good effect.
MLA- 12pt Times New Roman, 1-inch margins
- Here is a video to help with formatting in Microsoft Word
- Here is the link to get your PGCC free Microsoft Office 365 https://ask.pgcc.edu/TDClient/1778/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=49723
- Reading: Successful College Writing Chapter 18
- Assignment Rubric