Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum,
- Read Chapter 7 in the textbook.
- Review Section 2.2, pages 34 and 37.
- Watch Student Privacy 101: FERPA for Parents and Students (Links to an external site.).
- Review the National Association of Special Education Teachers Code of Ethics: Preamble—Statement of Purpose (Links to an external site.).
- Review Educational Rights and IEPs (Links to an external site.).
- Review additional required and recommended resources to support your professional career path.
- Review the Instructor Guidance lesson for this week.
- Thoroughly read the assignment instructions for this discussion forum post.
- Carefully read the content instructions listed below.
- Complete the ESE601 Week 6 Professional and Ethical Reflection Discussion Forum (Links to an external site.) interactive related to this week’s discussion forum and assignment.
- Review the Week 6 final paper (Resource Manual for Educating Students With Exceptionalities) description to see where this artifact fits into your final paper.
As you navigate this discussion forum, consider how you can apply these concepts and critical terms to your chosen path or learning environment in the field of education. Consider the ethical and professional guidelines that guide or govern your area of education. Points to ponder as you begin:
- P-12: Consider the state or educational standards your district follows or the Council for Exceptional Children Guidelines.
- Early Childhood: The National Association for the Education of Young Children or your local education standards.
- Post-secondary: Adult learning or training environments (e.g., educational, military, corporate environments, etc.) and standards aligning with ethics and professional learning.
- State your answers to the following, specifically using support from the readings and Instructor Guidance lesson from Week 6 and any additional credible sources:
- How does FERPA relate directly to the CEC and NASET standard of ethics for special educators?
- What characteristics and behaviors will make you stand out as an ethical educator?
- What action will you take to model ethical behaviors and conduct when working with students with exceptionalities and diverse learning needs in your chosen area of education?