Assignment 2: LASA: Analysis of Human Services of an Abuse Scenario
In this assignment, you will be introduced to a real-world case that requires a high-level analysis of theoretical, ethical, and legal factors to explain how an abused child should have been handled by the human services agency. This exercise will demonstrate the types of cases that are common in human services. You will learn how to approach such types of cases from necessary perspectives that always need to be considered by a human services worker.
In this assignment, you will read a scenario, analyze its legal and ethical implications, and discuss options to address the human services needs. Consider the following scenario.
You are working in a human services agency that provides diagnostic services and residential placement to youth in the court system. A female Italian immigrant teenager was placed in this center by Children and Youth Protective Services due to suspected sexual abuse by her father. The agency conducted an assessment on the child to determine the effects of the suspected abuse on her functioning, provided her with a safe environment for twelve weeks, during which time she was allowed supervised visitation with her father, and encouraged her to trust the staff members. During this period, her case went to trial and was dismissed despite strong indications of sexual abuse. The court ruling was based largely on the results of the assessment conducted by the agency professional in addition to the client’s activity in residential placement, including visitation with her father during that period of time. As a result, the agency lost its funding for residential placement. Therefore, the girl was returned to her home the following week.
Apply scholarly theory, practice, and ethics to write an 8- to 10-page paper that includes the following:
- Identify the legal and ethical obligations to both the girl and the father.
- Identify the multiple levels of system failure in this case.
- Discuss the distinction between the legal justification for the release of the girl and the ethical problems with such actions. In your discussion, explain how an individual human services provider might come to deal personally with such a conflict.
- Identify the cultural considerations needed when working with this family.
- Describe the original or historical intent of child welfare systems in caring for vulnerable children.
- Discuss to what extent the agencies have fulfilled their responsibilities to their mission and the original intent in creating such agencies.
- Propose two to three culturally and legally appropriate strategies that may be provided to the girl that will address her human services needs.
- prepare an 8- to 10-page report. Your response should rely upon at least three sources from professional literature. This may include the Argosy University online library resources, relevant textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov). Write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources (i.e., APA format); and use accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Save your report in a Microsoft Word document with the name M5_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc, and upload it to the M5 Assignment 2 LASA Dropbox.
This LASA is worth 300 points and will be graded according to the following rubric.