Due Week 3 and worth 200 points
Read “Case Study 3: Walmart Manages Ethics and Compliance Challenges,” located on page 407 of the textbook. Then, read the article titled, “The Good, the Bad, and Wal-Mart”, located at http://www.workplacefairness.org/reports/good-bad-wal-mart/wal-mart.php.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Examine the manner in which Walmart’s business philosophy has impacted its perception of being unethical towards supply and employee stakeholders. Provide one (1) example of Walmart in an unethical situation.
- Determine the major effects that Walmart’s business philosophy has had on its human resource practices and policies.
- Analyze two (2) of the legal mandates that workers and U.S. government has accused Walmart of violating. Provide an explanation as to why these legal mandates were violated, citing specific violations.
- Evaluate the efficiency of the structure of the ethical decision making framework that Walmart has used in making its decisions. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Recommend two (2) actions that Walmart’s Human Resources Department should take in order to improve the employees’ perspectives of Walmart’s human resources policies. Provide a rationale for your recommendations.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the business ethics issues and definitions, theories, and frameworks important to organizational ethical decision making and the role of a human resource professional.
- Determine the role of stakeholder interests, the interrelationship of ethics and social responsibility, and the role of corporate governance in ethics.
- Examine ethical issues and dilemmas in business.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in ethics and advocacy for HR professionals using correct grammar and mechanics.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business ethics and advocacy for HR professionals.
“Mandated Legal Requirements and Ethical Decision Making” Please respond to the following:
- Read the article titled, “Sarbanes-Oxley Act: HR’s Role in Ensuring Compliance and Driving Organizational Change,” located here. You may also view the article at at http://www.section404.org/UserFiles/File/research/28_HRs_Role_In_SOX.pdf. Next, suggest two (2) actions that HR should take in order to ensure an organization’s compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley. Explain the manner in which HR policies and practices are instrumental in implementing, and ensuring compliance, with legal mandates.
- Examine the key individual and organizational factors that influence an ethical decision making framework in resolving ethical dilemmas. Outline a guide that HR can use to implement principles and core values in ethical decision making in an organization. Provide a rationale for your response.