Choose a case where a whistleblower has reported an activity that he/she considers to be illegal or dishonest to one or more of the parties involved. Write for that industry. If you are not currently involved in any industry, choose a hypothetical industry. You may use a current whistleblower case in the news, such as the Veterans Administration or the Eric Snowden case.
Address the following in your case analysis:
- Whether or not it was ethical to be the whistleblower.
- The way in which he or she exposed how the information was being used.
- Discuss how he or she should have followed proper protocol (such as that required of a contractor, e.g.).
- Discuss the reasons for leaking the documents to various media resources.
- How does the reporting affect the company that the whistleblower was working for?
- What are the ethical implications of the actions?
- How might you, as a company representative, handle a situation like this?
- What is your view regarding the case you chose?
- Support your stand based on what you have learned in the course.
Discuss and define a whistleblower as defined by the policy of the company/organization you have chosen. Explain who reports an activity that he or she considers illegal or dishonest to one or more of the parties specified.
The whistleblower is not responsible for investigating the activity or for determining fault or corrective measures; appropriate management officials are charged with these responsibilities.
Give some examples of illegal or dishonest activities that are violations of federal, state or local laws.
If an employee has knowledge of or a concern about illegal or dishonest fraudulent activity, the employee is to contact his or her immediate supervisor or the Human Resources Director. Do you agree with this protocol?
I CHOSE ENRON AS MY CASE