Discuss the similarities and differences between labor organizations discussed in Chapter 3, the Knights of Labor, the Industrial Workers of the World, the American Federation of Labor, the Congress of Industrial Organizations, and Change to Win.
Look at the reasons listed by employers for being nonunion in the open shop handout in Figure 3.3. How would an AFL leader have responded to these reasons? Is the open shop movement consistent with today’s human resource management approach?
Analyze why the AFL survived and the IWW faded into obscurity as labor organizations.
• Papers should be approximately 3-5 pages in length. All answers should be thorough and well-thought out. Remember, this is a graduate-level course and you will be graded accordingly.
• Papers should show knowledge of the material and demonstrate the ability to synthesize the theory (not just repeat it back.).
• All papers must have a completed official NSU coversheet attached (see syllabus).
• Papers should be in 12 pt. (Arial, times Roman) and doubled space with one-inch margins.
• Answers should be written in APA format. Use headings and subheadings (in APA format) to delineate questions and part of questions. Do not repeat the questions or number them.
• Papers will also be graded on grammar, spelling, and appropriate APA formatting (headings, subheadings, paragraphs, page numbers, etc.). These are formal papers and should be written as such. Do not use contractions (isn’t, can’t) and write out single-digit numbers (six, rather than 6). Proofread your work carefully!
• Please review the rubric attached to this module before submitting the assignment, as this will be used as the grading guideline. ALL paper should be written using APA format. It is best to refer to your APA Manual. If you do not have a manual yet, you may want to refer to the following website: