GEN103 All Sources Annotated Bibliography Assignment Video
Prior to working on this assignment,
- Read Modules 3 and 4 in your course textbook.
- Review the Better Searches. Better Resultshandout.
- Review the GEN103 Determining Authorityand GEN103 Determining Currency
- Review the Ashford Writing Center’s Thesis Statement tutorial.
- Download and review the All Sources Annotated Bibliography template that you will complete and turn in for this assignment.
To prepare for this week’s assignment, apply the feedback your instructor gave you to revise your Week 3 assignment. To learn how to view the comments on your papers watch the Waypoint: Accessing Assignment Feedback video
This week, you will complete your annotated bibliography
- Find two appropriate non-scholarly sources using a search engine such as Google or Bing.
- Create APA references for the non-scholarly sources.
- Write annotations for the two non-scholarly sources.
- Include references and annotations for the sources from Week 3.
- Develop a thesis statement based on your research question.
Find Two Appropriate Non-Scholarly Sources Using a Search Engine such as Google or Bing
Locate the search terms you developed in Week 3. Use them and a search engine (like Google or Bing) to find two non-scholarly sources that address your research question. In order to be appropriate, these sources must pass the CRAAP test.
The non-scholarly source may be any of these types of sources:
- A newspaper or magazine article (not an editorial).
- An article from a professional organization website or trade journal (e.g., science, medical, etc.).
- An article or report from a .gov website.
- A blog post written by an expert on the topic.
The non-scholarly source may not be
- A book or book chapter.
- A scholarly article.
- A reference source (e.g., encyclopedia, almanac, dictionary).
Be sure to copy and record the URL (web address) of the non-scholarly sources that you choose so you can include it in your reference.
Create APA References for the Two Non-Scholarly Sources
Remember what you learned about how to format references in the APA Skill Check on creating references. Then, create the APA references for both sources in the All Sources Annotated Bibliography template. Check your references using the Ashford Writing Center’s Formatting Your References List to ensure they are correct. Also, you may view the Week 5 Annotated Bibliography Example to review correct format.
Write Annotations for the Two Non-Scholarly Sources
Now, you will write annotation for the two sources. The annotations must be in your own words, two paragraphs long, and address the points below. Provide brief descriptions, explanations or examples to support your answers.
- What kind of source is this?
- What is the thesis or main claim of the source?
- What evidence or claims does the source present in support of the thesis? Present at least two examples of support the source uses.
- What other important claims does the source make?
Paragraph 2: Evaluate
- How adequately does the source support its thesis?
- How current is the information in the source relative to your research question?
- How credible and authoritative is the source for your research question?
- What limitations, if any, did you note in the source?
- How does the source help answer your research question?
Include references and annotations for sources from Week 3
Review the feedback from your instructor on your Week 3 Assignment. Make any revisions or corrections you think will improve your submission. Insert the revised references and annotations into the appropriate sections of your All Sources Annotated Bibliography template.
Develop a Thesis Statement Based on Your Research Question
Use the Turning Your Research Question into a Thesis Statement worksheet to help create your thesis statement. Your thesis statement should summarize the conclusions you came to after researching your topic and be no more than two sentences long. Note: you will not submit this worksheet for grading but will paste the thesis you develop at the beginning of your bibliography.
To make sure your submission is as strong as it can be it is recommended you:
- Use Grammarly to assist in locating and correcting grammar and punctuation errors
- Submit your bibliography to Turnitin to make sure you did not accidently copy another’s work.
- You may review the resource Understanding Turnitin for more information.
- Submit your work to the Ashford Writing Center for feedback. The Ashford Writing Center staff can help you identify formatting, grammar, and other common writing issues in your work and give you ideas for ways to fix them. The Ashford Writing Center staff is available by email or by chat.
The Final Annotated Bibliography
- Must be double-spaced, include a title page and be formatted according to APA style as outlined on the Ashford Writing Center APA Formatting page. It should not include a References page.
- Must use the All Sources Annotated Bibliography template provided in the assignment instructions.
- Must use two scholarly articles, one e-book, and two non-scholarly sources.
- The Source Types handout offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.