Case Study: Mrs. Smith
Your client, Mrs. Smith, just began training with you. She complains of lower back pain and occasional neck pain. She sits for extended periods of time at work in an ill-fitting chair. She rarely exercises and always takes the elevator at work. Mrs. Smith is overweight by 40 lbs., she drinks three large diet sodas every day because she needs the caffeine to stay awake, and she smokes at least four cigarettes a day (usually after meals or eating).
Examine the exercise mode of flexibility by addressing the following:
- Describe how you would assess Mrs. Smith’s flexibility.
- Explain which flexibility tests you would select and explain your choices. Refer to the Chapter 5 Assessment Activities from Wellness: Concepts and Applications (8th ed.) as well as other scholarly sources.
- Summarize the procedure for one of the flexibility tests that you would perform on your client.
- Appraise the following and include what you will say to your client to educate and advise her regarding these elements.
- The factors associated with lower back and neck pain
- The benefits of a flexibility program
- Develop a flexibility plan by selecting four exercises or stretches that would be useful for Mrs. Smith to begin addressing her neck and back pain. For each of the four exercises:
- Identify the muscles used when performing these exercises/stretches. You must use the correct medical terminology for the muscles used in each exercise.
- Briefly describe the following to your client:
- How often and when to perform the exercises/stretches
- The type of stretch
- How long to hold the stretch
- Discuss three prevention tips for your client to assist her with beginning to make lifestyle changes that will have a great impact on her pain levels and tiredness.
Your initial post must be at least 250 words and contain at least three scholarly sources (one may be the textbook). All sources must be cited in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center