In your final paper you are being asked to provide the narrative to the presentation comparing your two cities ( Madison, Wisconsin, and New Orleans, Louisiana) based on health outcomes and social and economic factors. From what you have been learning so far, there has been a case established linking health status to socioeconomic determinates, demographics and other factors in explaining the disparities in health outcome.
For your assigned cities, do the following (you have done this for your presentation):
- Visit the 500 Cities Website:–Chose Compare cities, chose the two cities to compare by and chose the following:https://www.cdc.gov/500cities (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Health Outcome: Asthma, COPD, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Physical Health, Mental Health and Teeth lost.
- Prevention: Health Insurance, Annual Checkup, Dental Visits, Taking BP medication, Core preventative services for men and Core preventative services for women.
- Unhealthy Behavior: All five measures.
- After which, Visit City Health Dashboard–Chose the two cities you are comparing: https (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)://www.cityhealthdashboard.com (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
- Compare these health outcomes: Obesity and Premature Deaths
- Social and economic factors: Children in Poverty, High School graduation, Income Inequality, Neighborhood Racial/Ethnic Segregation, Racial/Ethnic Diversity, Unemployment and Violent Crime
- Physical environment factors: Air pollution, Limited access to Healthy foods and WalkabilityExplain the link between all these measures, why are they related (i.e. diabetes, obesity and food access and walkability for an example)
- Explain why the two cities are different or similar in their health outcomes (socioeconomic, demographics …etc.)
In addition, get socioeconomic data about the two cities, such as race/ethnicity, household value and other factors that you think can make the case and your argument for why these cities are the same or different. One site that might be helpful for this information is www.city-data.com (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
For your paper you should structure it as follows:
– Abstract : Summarizes your methods, results and conclusion
– Introduction: Why are we doing this, what is the purpose, background on the social determinants and their interaction with health and how it relates to population health.
– Results: Compares cities, are they similar, are they different, if similar how do they compare to the national standard. You can display your data as you see fit (graphs, tables …etc.).
– Discussion: Using what you have been learning in the class, how do you explain the results, why are people healthier in one place than other, what is the obesity, diabetes rate (example) and how does it connect with food and physical activity opportunities. How is race, poverty and environmental justice inter acting with your findings.
Your paper should not exceed 15 pages double spaced 12 point font. Extra point will be given to extra references and research you might do outside of the three provided links.