Export controls place restrictions on the export of software and technology in the USA and they play a significant role in foreign policy and national security. Imagine that you are a CIO at a U.S.-based international shoe manufacturing company. You are ready to make the change to a geographically distributed cloud-based computing model, but have some reservations as they relate to security, policy, and redundancy. Your primary goal is to address these issues as you maintain redundant services with 99.999% availability to your international Web customers, retailers, and manufacturing operations. It has been recommended that you read “Addressing Export Control in the Age of Cloud Computing”, located at http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2011/7/25%20cloud%20computing%20villasenor/0725_cloud_computing_villasenor.
Write a SIX (6) page paper in which you:
- Describe the policy questions and issues your company might face.
- Describe the cloud-based services that you would likely select to afford the services noted above.
- Specify and defend the:
- security reasons for your selection.
- policy reasons for your selection.
- redundancy reasons for your selection.
- Analyze the extent that export controls play in your cloud-based solution.
- Create a graphic rendering of your proposed solution using Visio or an equivalent such as Open Project, Dia, or OpenOffice. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.