The formal structures of organizations may be shown in a (n) ____.
- Environmental diagram
- Organization chart
- Horizontal diagram
- Matrix depiction
- Labor assignment chart
- A major distinction between line and staff units concerns:
- The amount of resources each is allowed to utilize
- Linkage of their jobs to the goals of the firm
- The amount of education or training they possess
- Their use of computer information systems
- Their linkage to the outside world
- Control involves all but ____.
- Measuring results
- Measuring results
- Taking corrective action
- Comparing results with goals
- Selecting manpower
Grouping individuals and resources in the organization around products, services, clients, territories, or legal entities is an example of ___________ specialization.
- Mixed form
Grouping resources into departments by skill, knowledge, and action is the______ pattern.
- Means end chains
- A matrix structure ______.
- Reinforces unity of command
- Is inexpensive
- Is easy to explain to employees
- Gives some employees two bosses
- Yields a minimum of organizational politics
Compared to the machine bureaucracy (mechanistic type), the professional bureaucracy (organic type) _________________________ .
- Is more efficient for routine operations
- Has more vertical specialization and control
- Is larger
- Has more horizontal specialization and coordination mechanism
- Is smaller
Environmental complexity ____.
- Refers to the set of alliances formed by senior management
- Refers to the overall level of problems and opportunities stemming from munificence, interdependence, and volatility
- Is restricted to the general environment of organizations
- Is restricted to other organizations with which an organization must interact in order to obtain inputs and dispose of outputs
____is grouping individuals by skill, knowledge, and action yields.
- Divisional departmentation
- Functional departmentation
- Hybrid structuration
- Matrix departmentation
The division of labor through the formation of work units or groups within an organization is called _____.
- Horizontal specialization
- Vertical specialization
____is the set of mechanisms used in an organization to link the actions of its subunits into a consistent pattern.
- Formal authority
The design of the organization needs to be adjusted to all but ______.
- The environment of the firm
- The strategy of the firm
- The size of the firm
- The operations and information technology of the firm
- The personnel to be hired by the firm
Regarding the organizational design for a small firm compared to a large firm:
- They are almost the same
- They are fundamentally different
- A large firm is just a larger version of a small one
- The small firm has more opportunity to use information technology
Adhocracies tend to favor ______.
- Vertical specialization and control
- Horizontal specialization and coordination
- Extensive centralization
- A rigid strategy
Which of the following is an accurate statement about an adhocracy?
- The design facilitates information exchange and learning
- There are many rules and policies
- Use of IT is always minimal
- IT handles routine problems efficiently
- IT is quite common in older industries