Write a research paper in which you address the recruiting and selection functions of a selected organization, based on information you have gathered and analyzed about the organization. Attracting top talent that fits the organization is of considerable importance. The ability to attract talented people is one of the foundational skills for any HR professional and one that will be utilized throughout your career. In addition to attracting top talent, you must make the decision about whom to bring on board and in what relationship: full time, part time, or contract.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- How has social media changed the recruiting and selection process in the last five years?
- How might social media be used to attract the best candidates for employment?
- What are some of the challenges in using social media this way?
- Suggested Resources
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Pritchard, C. W. (2006). 101 strategies for recruiting success: Where, when, and how to find the right people every time. Saranac Lake, NY: AMACOM Books.
- Chapter 1, “15 Strategies for Operational Success.”
- Chapter 2, “Successful Sourcing.”
- Chapter 4, “Hiring Success.”
- Yeung, R. (2010). Creating success: Successful interviewing and recruitment. London, GBR: Kogan Page Ltd.
Before beginning the assessment, complete the following:
- Choose an organization to use for this assessment. It can be where you are currently employed or a company with which you are familiar. It must be an organization that is researchable, as you will need to gather and analyze information in order to complete the assessment. You may use the same organization for the other assessments.
- If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee.
- Research the recruiting and selection functions of the chosen organization.
Based on your research into the recruiting and selection functions of the organization you selected, write a research paper in which you complete the following:
- Describe the organization’s current state of labor (for example, shortages, surplus, et cetera), including any recent changes in labor needs (shortages, temporary workers).
- Explain the recruiting policies and methods being used by the organization.
- Analyze the talent acquisition processes of the organization.
- Explain the selection process used, including testing, background checks, drug screening, interviews, and so on.
- Analyze elements of the organization that contribute to its image as an employer (for example, compensation, geographic location, size, et cetera). How do these elements affect the ability of the organization to attract and retain talent?
Please note: You must address all the required elements of this assessment. If details for any of the bulleted points are unavailable, research the topic and present recommendations you believe would be best for the organization, along with your supporting rationale.
- Your submitted assessment should include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, and reference page.
- Be sure you support your analyses with references to at least two resources.
- You should format this assessment as a research paper following APA 6th edition guidelines for both style and citing sources, making sure that you also use correct grammar and mechanics.
- There is no required minimum or maximum page length; however, you should strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each bullet point, while also being as clear and concise as possible.
Analyzes the organizational labor situation.
Evaluates recruiting policies and methods
Evaluates the talent acquisition processes
Analyzes the selection processes
Evaluates elements that affect the ability of an organization to attract and retain talent