Ashford University Discussion
Prepare: Prior to completing this discussion, read “Right on the Money: How to Keep the Doors of Your Nonprofit Organization Open in Good Times and Bad.”
Reflect: You may wish to review the following resources to help support you in your discussion.
- Joplin Tornado
- ResCare: Residential Services – (Displaced persons of special needs after tornado disaster) Requesting $60,000
- Big Brothers – Big Sisters – (Children coping with the disaster with P.T.S.D. Training of volunteers in working with children and P.T.S.D.) Requesting $30,000
- Children’s Center – (A not-for-profit organization providing a safe, child friendly setting for the investigation of child abuse in Southwest Missouri wishing to start a family counseling program.) Requesting 30,000
- Joplin NALA – (Mission of fostering and strengthening literacy skills enabling learners to reach their full potential. We accomplish our mission by recruiting and tutoring adults who need help in reading, math, and/or English as a second language) Requesting $30,000
- The Alliance of SWMO – (Parenting training program in the child abuse prevention program.) Requesting $35,000
- Spiva Center for the Arts – (Develop and implement children’s summer art program.) Requesting $35,000
- Joplin South Little League – (Support players from low income families and those displaced from the tornado) Requesting $30,000
- Ozark Center Crisis Services – (Support for suicide prevention hot line for the elderly.) Requesting 40,000
Write: Human Services and care are provided in many formats. You have been asked to serve on the Board of Directors of the Community Foundation of Southwest Missouri INC. After you have started with the Board you are placed on the grant allocation subcommittee. Your committee is charged with the distribution of grants and with a focus on Joplin Mo. Joplin, as noted above, was devastated by a tornado in May 0f 2011. The community is still recovering and over stressed human service programs still work hard to provide services. Your organization received a donation from The Duke Endowment (http://dukeendowment.org/) for a total of $170,000. Your organization must distribute the money throughout the community. The foundation received over 30 applications but narrowed this to eight applicants listed in the Reflection section along with the amounts requested. There is $290,000 applied for in regard to this money. Each member of your subcommittee has been asked to submit who they would like to recommend the money go to and how much they would receive. It is suggested that only five applicants receive money. In this discussion of 350 words present the five organizations that will receive money and to what amount. In the discussion utilize these prompts:
- Identify who you have chosen and how much will they receive.
- Explain the criteria you used to select them and the amount.
- Describe the requirements you used in selecting the five applicants.
- Explain if your selected programs met all your requirements.
- Reflect on your HHS ethics and values and how these influenced your choices.
Guided Response: Post your 350 word discussion and respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings in this discussion. You can use the following prompts
Ashford University Discussion
Prepare: Prior to beginning this discussion, please read the following articles: Relieving human suffering: Compassion in social policy and A pragmatic view of Jean Watson’s caring theory.
Reflect: Within the boundaries of the health and human services, there are thousands of employees providing a great variety of services. The process of dealing with humans in need is not simplistic. One practitioner, Dr. Jean Watson, has become a leader in Caring Theory.
Write: After reading the article, “A Pragmatic View of Jean Watson’s Caring Theory,” you are asked to do the following:
- Assess Dr. Watson’s Caring Theory based on its strengths and limitations.
- Describe other theories and frameworks you would consider, and why?
- Develop a set of values that should be the foundation of a caring Perspective in the health and human services utilizing the articles from this discussion.