Review the “Global Issues in Context: Left Homeless, Storm Victims Turn to Internet to Find Shelter” podcast, located in this week’s Electronic Reserve readings.
- The podcast discusses the use of technology to locate available places where homeless storm victims can find shelter. If a family locates a place using the electronic resource, they are expecting it to be a guarantee. Consider some of the risks associated with misinformation.
Imagine you are a reporter for a national news syndication. You are tasked with writing a summation of the usefulness of technology in a crisis situation. Be sure to include in your article your opinion of or personal experience with crisis.
Write a 350- to 700-word article that discusses the following:
- How was the use of technology demonstrated in this podcast?
- Identify uses of information technology to connect clients to online resources.
- Is there any danger in being dependent on technology, specifically in the scenario from the podcast?
- Evaluate the differences between and benefits of electronic information over receiving information in a written printed format.
- When considering the needs of people in crisis, how effective is the use of technology in the following circumstances?
- Speed of information
- Access to the technology
- Updating data
- How can a human service agency ensure that they are not liable for information that could be wrong?
- Are there any regulations you can think of that should be considered when providing access to materials using technology?