Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Violations
Read pages 90-94 of your course text, including the Release of Information section, the Perspective: Examples of Recently Published HIPAA Privacy Violations section, and Exhibits 3.3 and 3.4. Next, select one of the cases from the list below:
- Doctor and Two Former Hospital Employees Plead Guilty to HIPAA Violation
- Civil Money Penalty: HHS Imposes a $4.3 Million Civil Money Penalty for Violations of the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Resolution Agreement: Mass General Hospital Settles Potential HIPAA Violations
- Rite Aid Agrees to Pay $1 million to Settle HIPAA Privacy Case
- UCLA Health System Settles Potential HIPAA Privacy and Security Violations
Then, provide a case analysis on the HIPAA violation of patient health information (PHI) that was present in the case you selected. Include the following points in your case analysis:
- Summarize the case.
- Identify the specific HIPAA privacy and security rules that were broken.
- Identify the penalties (if any) that were imposed as a result of the ruling on the case. Do you believe the penalties imposed were sufficient for the type and scope of the infraction? Explain your answer.
- Explain your understanding of the HIPAA privacy and security rules.
- Explain the significance of this case with regards to health care information systems, either in general or to the organizations that work in this field.
- Explain whether or not any other laws besides the HIPAA laws were broken, and if so, which laws.
- Include a paragraph about how this particular case could apply to your Final Proposal and Presentation. What impact might lessons learned from this particular case have on your Final Proposal and Presentation case study?
The HIPAA Case Analysis:
- Must be three to four pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), double-spaced and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must Include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least three scholarly sources, including a minimum of one from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
|Links to other tutorials for MHA 616
Just click on Assignment/Discussion name to go to respective tutorial.
|· MHA 616 Week 1 Assignment ( Health Information System Topic Selection )|