Please refer to milestone before completing assignment.
- Review the feedback you received from your instructor for Milestone 1, and use it to develop this milestone.
- Create a proposal for your Design for Change Capstone Project. Open the recommended assignment specific Milestone 2 Design Proposal Template (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Use this to write your paper. You will include the information from Milestone 1, your practice issue and evidence summary worksheets, as you compose this proposal. Your plan is to convince your management team of a practice problem you have uncovered that is significant enough to change current practice.
- The format for this proposal will be a paper following the Publication manual of APA 6 th edition.
- The paper is to be four- to six-pages excluding the Title page and Reference page.
- As you organize your information and evidence, include the following topics.
- Introduction: Write an introduction but do not use “Introduction” as a heading in accordance with the rules put forth in the Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (2010, p. 63). Introduce the reader to the plan with evidence-based problem identification and solution.
- Change Model Overview: Overview of the ACE Star model (the model we have been discussing this session); define the scope of the EBP; identify the stakeholders, and determine the responsibility of the team members.
- Evidence: Conduct internal and external searches of evidence; integrate and summarize the evidence summary worksheet from Milestone 1; develop a recommendation for change.
- Translation: develop a hypothetical action plan; include measurable outcomes, reporting to stakeholders; identify next steps and disseminate the findings.
- Conclusion: Provide a clear and concise summary, inclusive of the problem issue, the five points of the ACE Star change model; and ways to maintain the change plan.
- Citations and References must be included to support the information within each topic area. Refer to the APA manual, Chapter 7, for examples of proper reference format. In-text citations are to be noted for all information contained in your paper that is not your original idea or thought. Ask yourself, “How do I know this?” and then cite the source. Scholarly sources are expected, which means using peer-reviewed journals and credible websites.
- Tables and Figures may be added as appropriate to the project. They should be embedded within the body of the paper (see your APA manual for how to format and cite). Creating tables and figures offers visual aids to the reader and enhances understanding of your literature review and design for change.
- Submit your paper by 11:59 p.m. MT by Sunday of the end of Week 4.
Capstone Project Milestone 1:
Practice Issue and Evidence Summary Worksheets
For Use May 2018
Student Name: Date: 5/21/18
1. Refer to the guidelines for specific details on how to complete this assignment.
2. Type your answers directly into the worksheets below.
3. Submit to the Dropbox by the end of Week 3, Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT.
4. Post questions about this assignment to the Q & A Forum. You may also email questions to the instructor for a private response.
Practice Issue Worksheet
List the topic and include the citation for the systematic review you have selected from our approved list (optional: an additional scholarly source of support):
Support for healthy Breastfeeding mothers with healthy term babies.
McFadden, A., Gavine, A., Renfrew, M. J., Wade, A., Buchanan, P., Taylor, J. L., … MacGillivray, S. (2017). Support for healthy breastfeeding mothers with healthy term babies. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD001141. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001141.pub5
What is the nursing practice issue you have identified related to the topic you have chosen?
The nursing practice issue identified is the unavailability of resources that can facilitate the teaching of feeding cues to the mothers and expecting mothers in order to provide the best breastfeeding practices.
Fully describe the scope of the practice issue:
The benefits of breastfeeding for both mother and child is widely accepted across the medical field. The world health organization has made a recommendation that infants should be breastfed until six months exclusively, and even continue for up to two years exclusively as the main part of infant diet. The current level of breastfeeding in most of the countries does not indicate that recommendation. Knowing this, instead of offering brief lactation classes on postpartum units, interactive and in-depth lactation support should be available to all expecting mothers and new mothers.
What is the practice area?
___ Other (List):
How was the practice issue identified? (check all that apply)
___ Safety/risk management concerns
___ Unsatisfactory patient outcomes
___ Wide variations in practice
__x_ Significant financial concerns
___ Difference between hospital and community practice
___ Clinical practice issue is a concern
___ Procedure or process is a time waster
___ Clinical practice issue has no scientific base
Describe the rationale for your checked selections:
For this practice issue, I selected significant financial concerns as a reason to why lactation courses are not as prioritized as they should. Providing the resources needed in order to facilitate an interactive in depth course may illuminate a financial concern.
What evidence must be gathered? (check all that apply)
___ Literature search
___ Expert Opinion
___ Patient Preferences
_x__ Clinical Expertise
__x_ Financial Analysis
___ Standards (Regulatory, professional, community)
Describe the rationale for your checked selections:
I selected financial analysis because in order to supply the resources for these lactation courses, the facilities/hospital’s financial capacity should be considered. Hiring additional staff that offer expertise is essential in offering quality care to the specific population.
Evidence Summary Worksheet
Directions: Please type your answers directly into the worksheet.
Describe the practice problem in your own words with reference to the identified population, setting and magnitude of the problem in measurable terms:
As previously mentioned, though it has been medically recommended for mothers of infants to breast feed for at least 6 months, the number of mothers that actually follow through with breastfeeding, does not reflect its importance. Expecting and new mothers are not offered enough support in regards to education, to ensure breastfeeding compliance. As a result, the benefits of breastfeeding are not being reaped by mother and infants.
Type the complete APA reference for the systematic review article you chose from the list provided. It must be relevant to the practice issue you described above. Include the APA reference for any additional optional supplemental scholarly source related to the review you wish to use.\
Renfrew, M. J., McCormick, F. M., Wade, A., Quinn, B., & Dowswell, T. (2012). Support for healthy breastfeeding mothers with healthy term babies. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 5(5).
Identify the objectives of the article:
To determine the categories of breastfeeding support that haven examined in the controlled research, the timing for the intervention and the setting which the research and interventions are used
To determine the efficiency of diverse modes for offering the intervention support for instance, whether the offered intervention is reactive, proactive and over the phone or face to face, and if such intervention has the elements of postnatal and antenatal and their effectiveness.
To evaluate the effectiveness of various caregivers and trainings in situations where there was series of trainings.
To explore the interactions between the rates of breastfeeding background and support effectiveness.
Provide a statement of the questions being addressed in the work and how these relate to your practice issue:
Offering the support for the breastfeeding to women both antenatal and postnatal results in the increase of the exclusivity and duration of breastfeeding, hence better health for mother and child. The practice issue identified, suggests that the resources and the availability of staff may be an issue. Financially, many facilities may not deem these interventions as those that require priority, thus dwarfing the availability interactive lactation support courses.
Summarize (in your own words) the interventions the author(s) suggest to improve patient outcomes.
In order to gain success, these courses should be instructed by qualified personnel who are able to provide in depth expertise. The program should provide progressive arranged visits with women on the based on the time that they’re available. The program should be tailored to the setting and need of the group.
Summarize the main findings by the authors of your systematic review including the strength of evidence for each main outcome. Consider the relevance to your project proposal for the Milestone 2 project paper. (If an optional supplemental source is also used, include a statement of relevance to it as well.)
The main findings are that the support offered by both the professional and lay persons had positive impact on the outcome of breastfeeding.
Factors like the face to face breastfeeding support and personalized trainings encourage the duration and exclusivity of breastfeeding in new mothers.
Outline evidence-based solutions that you will consider for your project.
Evidence-based solutions that increase the rate of breastfeeding includes; patient centered care of mothers who are experiencing issues with breast feeding, giving support in the settings that have high rate of initiation, and education provided by experts that enables mothers both antenatal and postnatal to have access to all the information they need to provide the best care for their infants. Also, the support strategy should include face to face interactions for higher chances of success for the breastfeeding women.
Discuss any limitations to the studies that you believe impacts your ability to utilize the research in your project.
The studies were limited to 100 studies, and 73 studies were limited to 29 countries which is even less than 50% of the countries across the globe. Statistics cannot rely on such figure as representatives.