Financial Impact and Creating Stakeholder Buy-In
In this unit, you will be tasked with researching health information management professionals, their job functions and abilities to help the organization maintain or improve their HIM systems. You will apply your research of health information management professionals and their job functions to the scenario by creating and developing a job description that matches the organization’s needs. As discussed previously, it is important for organizations to hire the right professionals to manage their health information systems ensuring that those professionals and their skills are in line with organizational goals.
However, there is also a financial impact to the organization and it is important to be able to support the need and return on investment (ROI) in order to achieve stakeholder buy-in.
Information System Job Description and Summary
For this assessment refer to your work on the Analysis of Electronic Health Records System assignment. You may also wish to refer back to the Vila Health: Analysis of an EHR System simulation.
Now that you have made recommendations on an EHR system and meaningful use compliance, the leadership has decided to hire a health information manager to oversee the EHR and other relevant HIM systems. This person will be responsible for ensuring long-term meaningful use compliance and working with the staff, stakeholders, and vendors to ensure continued success and seamless use of the EHR system.
Since you spent so much time analyzing the organization’s systems, this new hire will report directly to you and you will take the lead in the hiring process.
For this assignment, you will create two deliverables. The first is a 2–3-page executive summary that summarizes the need for the position. This will be presented to the leadership prior to posting the job description and advertising it to potential candidates. The second is a 1–2-page job description detailing the position of the health information management professional that you want to hire.
The purpose of the executive summary is to present a clear case for the need of the health information management professional position to be hired. You should support this need with evidence from your analysis that you completed in the first assessment of this course. The executive summary will be assessed with the following scoring guide criteria:
- Explain an organization’s need for a health information management professional to ensure long-term meaningful use and current incentive program compliance.
- Analyze the potential financial impacts of hiring a new health information management professional.
- In other words, what will it cost to hire and employ the new health information management professional versus the potential costs incurred by failing meaningful use compliance or failing to achieve incentives from current programs.
- Support hiring need and recommendations with specific evidence to encourage buy-in from the leadership.
The job description will allow you to lay out the desired skills and responsibilities for the health information management professional. It should include a minimum and a preferred education, experience, and training requirement. The job description will be assessed with the following scoring guide criteria:
- Describe specific job functions of a new health information management professional.
- Explain the skills and training needed by a new health information management professional to be successful in a position.
In addition to the points mentioned so far in this assignment, the following scoring guide criteria will be assessed throughout your assessment:
- Communicate the need for a health information management professional and their job requirements in a manner that is clear and concise.
- Integrate relevant sources to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.
Your executive summary should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Professional format: The executive summary format is consistent with expectations for professionals in health care administration.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting standards.
- Number of resources: 3–5 peer-reviewed resources from scholarly journal articles.
- Executive Summary: Should be 2–3 pages, following APA alignment, double-spaced. Page count excludes the title page and reference page. You do not need to write an abstract for this assessment.
- Job Description: Should be 1–2 pages. Job description format should follow a typical job description based on your research.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman,12 point.