You manage a hotel resort located on the South Beach on the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. You are shifting the focus of your resort from a traditional fun-in-the-sun destination to eco-tourism. (Eco-tourism focuses on environmental awareness and education.) How would you classify the following projects in terms of compliance, strategic, and operational?
- Convert the pool heating system from electrical to solar power.
- Build a 4-mile nature hiking trail.
- Renovate the horse barn.
- Launch a new promotional campaign with Hawaii Airlines.
- Convert 12 adjacent acres into a wildlife preserve.
- Update all the bathrooms in condos that are 10 years or older.
- Change hotel brochures to reflect eco-tourism image.
- Test and revise disaster response plan.
- Introduce wireless Internet service in café and lounge areas.
How easy was it to classify these projects? What made some projects more difficult than others?