Read the overview of this case located in Appendix C of your textbook. Using online resources such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and other reputable newspaper publications, but not Wikipedia, read the details of the case. Write a brief summary of the case from District Court through the Supreme Court ruling. In your summary, you should include the following:
- The background of the case. This should provide sufficient information for someone reading your summary to understand why the case is important.
- The central issue of the case. In other words, the issue that the court is trying to resolve.
- The principle arguments for, and against, as presented in the case.
- The facts as determined by the court. These are the facts that were utilized to determine the decision of the case.
- Discuss the role of the Civil Right Act of 1964 and the Age Discrimination legislation of 1967 in this case.
- Analyze the decision of the court. Was the decision derived from solid logic and reasoning. If so, in what ways. If not, what was omitted or missed in their reasoning.
- In light of the Supreme Court ruling, what recommendations would you make to executive management if an employee like Christine McKennon claimed age discrimination after being terminated under similar circumstances?
- Support your discussion with 3 to 4 scholarly sources.