THEATRE REVIEW GUIDELINES
Drama Appreciation – DRAM 1310
– A Review is a formal, written discussion of a performance of a play or musical. It is your personal opinion. You may say any positive or negative remarks on the production – as long as you justify it. Tell me why it “was good” or what made it “suck”. Your opinion is valid as long as you justify it.
– You will need to watch the full movie “Shrek the Musical.” This is a live Broadway production that has been filmed.
– The Review should contain five paragraphs. It should be a minimum of 2 pages, but not more than 3 pages, using a basic 12 pt. font.
– Spelling and grammar will be graded as well as content!
DUE DATE – Please refer to the course syllabus/schedule for due dates and due times for all assignments. You can turn it in sooner.
Include in the paper
Paragraph 1- The Basics Introduce the name of the play, author, place of performance, date of performance, and director. In a few sentences talk about the basic theme of the play and discuss the general plot.
Paragraphs 2 & 3 – The Acting React to two of the performers in the play. Be sure to use their real names. Were they believable: true to the play, the production, the theatrical conditions? The following items should be discussed in your review. You should respond with more than “yes” or “no” answers. VOICE: How did the actor use their volume, tempo, vocal quality, articulation? BODY: How did the actor use gestures, movement, and stage business? EMOTIONS: Were the emotions true to the character? FACIAL EXPRESSIONS: How did the actor use their face? PROJECTION: How did the actor project orally and visually to the audience?
Paragraph 4 – The Design The following items should be discussed in your review. You should respond with more than “yes” or “no” answers. SET: Did the set establish the correct mood and background for the play? LIGHTS: Did the lighting convey the proper mood, emphasis, and illumination? COSTUMES & MAKE UP: Were the costumes and makeup true to the period and characters? SOUND: How did the sound effects and music contribute to the show’s mood?
Paragraph 5 – Your Reaction What was your opinion of the play? Would you suggest it to friend? Why or why not? Avoid generic phrases like: “two thumbs up” or “3 out of 5 stars” DO:
1. Back up all your opinions with valid reasons and examples.
2. Be objective, fair and constructive. Indicate good points along with those you felt needed improvement.
3. Be sincere. Believe what you say.
1. Don’t be overly critical. Approach a performance with an attitude of enjoying it.
2. Don’t be arrogant. Be humble, kind, and remember the challenges of doing live theatre. –
– Remember: PROOF YOUR WORK! (Grammar,spelling etc.) .
– This is a college paper. It should reflect as such.
– This review is 10% of your total grade.
This the link to the musical I have attached below