Reflection and Discussion Forum Week 2Assigned Readings:Chapter 3. Segmentation.Chapter 4. Targeting.Chapter 5. Positioning.Initial Postings: Read and reflect on the assigned readings for the week. Then post what you thought was the most important concept(s), method(s), term(s), and/or any other thing that you felt was worthy of your understanding in each assigned textbook chapter.Your initial post should be based upon the assigned reading for the week, so the textbook should be a source listed in your reference section and cited within the body of the text. Other sources are not required but feel free to use them if they aid in your discussion.Also, provide a graduate-level response to each of the following questions:
- This question gives you more market sizing practice (it’s a skill you’ll need). Using the logic from the chapter, try to estimate the possible market for the number of pairs of football pants a manufacturer could sell in your city. Hints:
- Go online and find the number of high schools in your city’s school districts. If you live in a large city, focus on only the largest school district.
- Assume that 90% of those high schools have both a varsity football team (with 40 players) and a junior varsity team (35).
- Assume also that each player gets 2 pairs of game pants (one in the dark school colors, and one in the light), and on average, 1.5 pairs of white pants for practice
- Should a firm change its positioning depending on the market? What are the potential advantages and disadvantages of doing this?
- Why do you think market segmentation is important and what impact could it have on a company? Does a successful company need to segment at all? Identify four different products that represent market segmentation based on demographic, geographic, psychological, and behavioral features and discuss how each product’s advertising reflects this segmentation.
[Your post must be substantive and demonstrate insight gained from the course material. Postings must be in the student’s own words – do not provide quotes!]
This activity/assignment will help students understand concept of targeting and its importanceActivity I: Choose a product that you would like to introduce in the market. Create a profile of your target market and to discuss the reasons for choosing this market.This activity/assignment will help students understand concept of positioning and its importanceActivity II: Find a company that is struggling. Where is it in the positioning matrix? Could the company be more successful if it changed any of its Ps (e.g., to head to the lo-lo-lo-lo or hi-hi-hi-hi cells)?