500 word answers for each 3 questions
1. How does understanding neurons, neurotransmitters, and the chemical/electrical communication in the brain help us better understand human behavior and mental processes?
2. Considering your nervous system and the different parts of your brain, what kind of impact could neuroplasticity and neurogenesis have on human beings?
3. What are some ways that nature/nurture influences affect the human brain? What about other areas of your life?
· Describe different stages of human development.
· Discuss cognitive and social development theories, including gender development.
· Explain attachment and parenting theories.
1. Describe the differences between sensations and perceptions, along with concepts such as thresholds, sensory adaptation, and Gestalt theories.
2. Discuss how your sensations and perceptions are affected by psychological, social, and cultural influences.
3. How do your different states of consciousness affect your sensations and perceptions (attentiveness, sleep, substance use)?
1. How do the three personality theories covered in this week’s reading help understand human personality? (Psychodynamic, Humanistic, Social-Cognitive)
2. What is a psychological disorder and what does it mean to diagnose someone?
3. Is it helpful to label people with psychological disorders? Why or why not?
1. What are some of the psychological techniques used to help people? (psychodynamic, humanistic, cognitive, behavioral, pharmacological, biological)
2. What types of therapies do you think work best for different types of psychological problems (i.e. individual, group, family, couples’ counseling) ?
3. What types of risks are involved in clinical psychology? Describe ethical considerations to keep in mind.
1. Describe some theories that help you understand the way people think and the way they develop language.
2. Discuss some different viewpoints on human intelligence and emotional intelligence.
3. What are some biases and ethical considerations with regards to intelligence testing?
1. How can human motivation be understood in terms of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs?
2. Discuss how motivators such as hunger or the need to belong influence people.
3. Describe physiological, psychological, and social-cultural influences on human emotion.